The Ultimate Lake Turkana Safari
From US$9,500 per person
Day 1Lodwar - Lobolo Camp
Meet and greet on arrival at Lodwar airport and drive to Lobolo Camp on the shores of Lake Turkana. Lunch, dinner and overnight at the Camp
Day 2Turkana village - Loriu Ranges
This morning visit to a Turkana village for cultural experience and after an early lunch depart by boat (approx 5hrs) southbound and set up fly-camp at Loriu (Loriu Ranges) for dinner and overnight
Day 3Loriu Ranges - Nabuyatom
Breakfast at leisure, nature walk/bird walk around Loriu plus interact with the fishing community living here. Lunch and depart by boat (approx 2.5hrs) to south end of the lake, Nabuyatom, for dinner and overnight fly-camp
Day 4Nabuyatom - Suguta Valley - Nabuyatom
This day is spent exploring south end of the lake and the adventurer at heart will attempt to climb Nabuyatom cone and if still challenged attempt to explore further south by walking towards Suguta Valley and if lucky enjoy a beautiful panoramic view of Suguta lake, where thousands of flamingo can be seen.
Day 5Nabuyatom - South Island
Breakfast at leisure and nature walk/bird walk/crocodile watch around Nabuyatom. Lunch and depart by boat (approx 1.5hrs) northward to South Island National Park, a 39-sq-km volcanic island which was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997, set up camp, dinner and overnight fly-camp
Day 6South Island - Loyangalani - South Island
Breakfast at leisure and nature walk/crocodile watch/walk (thousands abound) on the island and after lunch depart by boat (approx 2hrs) via El Molo village to Loyangalani, on arrival meet and greet by the driver, and, enjoy the sights and sounds of this famous settlement. This visit will take you to El Molo, Samburu, Turkana and Rendille homesteads. Boat (approx 1hr) back to South Island NP for dinner and overnight.
Day 7South Island - Central Island
Morning at leisure and after lunch depart by boat (approx 4hrs) to Central Island National Park, dinner and overnight fly-camp on the Island
Day 8Central Island - Sibiloi National Park - Koobi Fora
Standing at 170m above lake surface Central Island Volcano which to date still belch some molten sulphur and hot steam is an intriguing place to visit.
Early morning explore the Island by boat and on foot, Flamingo Lake, the breeding place for flamingo and Crocodile Lake, the breeding place for crocs and birdlife and thereafter return to the camp for breakfast. Those looking for more challenging hike could extend their walk to Tilapia Lake, approx 2 hours walk. Lunch on the Island and thereafter boat (approx 3hrs) to Koobi Fora Study Centre (managed by National Museums of Kenya), in Sibiloi National Park for dinner and overnight at Koobi Fora Basic Bandas.
Day 9Sibiloi National Park
It is Sibiloi National Park and its vicinity that Dr. Richard Leakey discovered the skull of a Homo habilis believed to be 2.5 million years old and where others have unearthed evidence of Homo erectus. This area’s fascinating prehistory, fossil sites and wonderful arid ecosystem with breath-taking scenic/panoramic views, makes it a worthwhile place to visit at least once in a lifetime.
By vehicle and with the museum guide visit the Kobi Fora museum, the famous fossils excavation sites, fossils of a big-tusked behemoth of a predecessor of today’s Elephant, giant tortoise and fish sites.
Day 10Koobi Fora -Ileret area -Koobi Fora
Early breakfast and thereafter depart by vehicle, with picnic lunch, to the Dassanech country (IIeret area) and spend the day with Dassanech people to experience their culture and back to Koobi Fora for dinner and overnight
Day 11Koobi Fora - Lobolo Camp
With packed lunch drive via game view/scenic view to Petrified Forest near Alia Bay in Sibiloi National Park. Thereafter meet up with the boats and navigate (approx 3hrs) back to Lobolo Camp for Turkana cultural dance, dinner and overnight
Day 12Lobolo - Lodwar
Breakfast and thereafter transfer to Lodwar for your onward flight to your next destination hopefully with fond memories of this very unique region.
Price per person
Safari package include
- Full board accommodation at Lobolo Camp and during the safari
- Drinks – mineral bottle water, soft drinks, beer and house wine (during safari days)
- Drinks – mineral bottle water, soft drinks, beer, selected spirits and house wine (Lobolo Camp nights)
- Transfers and transport in Turkana by boat and vehicle where applicable
- Kobi Fora - excavation sites visit fee and guide (provided by Museum)
- Park entry fees and camping fees where applicable
- Turkana cultural dance (Lobolo Camp)
- Turkana village visit for cultural experience
- Dassanech village visit for cultural experience
- El Molo village cultural experience
- Samburu/Turkana/Rendile cultural experience (Loyangalani)
- Local guide services where applicable
- Amref Flying Doctors Air Ambulance evacuation cover (30 days cover)
Not included in the package
- Charter flights or domestic/schedule flights
- Transfers where not applicable (Nairobi)
- Travel and cancellation/medical insurance cover
- Spirits and/or any other drinks not mentioned above
- Photographic fee or charges with the local people
- Eventual tips
- Any items or expenses of personal nature
- Any other items not mentioned in the inclusions
We recommend the
following packing list
- Good quality sandals
- Good quality light walking (sport) shoes
- Lightweight waterproof rain jacket for the occasional showers-Comfortable, “safari” clothes
- Small backpack
- Small water bottle
- Small flashlight, for example forehead type - make Petzl
- Hat with 'shin cord' to avoid blowing over board.
- Quality mosquito repellent
- Waterproof sun blocker cream
- Good quality sunglasses
- Extra camera battery
- And further what one think he/she need for a comfortable stay in a remote/hot (and/or windy) area.
include the following
- Stand-in medium size tents imported from South Africa
- Camp beds (small or big) where applicable and possible
- Sleeping bags, liners and pillows
- Towels, washbasin etc
- Dinning and Kitchen shades
- Tables and chairs
- Any other items or equipment necessary to make your stay comfortable